During our short tour, I realized that it pretty much looked just like my chemical storerooms in the high schools but with a variety of drugs instead of salts, vinegars and aluminum foil. Also the graduated cylinders and beakers were much larger. I only got through two compounds today, while my preceptor whizzed through almost 10. Though She has been a tech at UNC for over 20 years and before that she was a pharmacist in Peru. Very nice lady and super helpful. Here's what our IPPE students got to make during our month:
- Nimodipine - Comes in capsules that must be punctured and drained to create an oral solution patients with feeding tubes. Indicated for Subarachnoid Hemmorage
- Vancomycin - Injectable, lypholized that must be reconstituted (with Sterile Water for Injection) and mixed with Ora-Sweet and Sterile Water for Irrigation to create an oral solution. Indicated for bacterial infection
- Mafenide - Yellowish powder that must be added to 1L of Sterile Water for Irrigation. Indicated to prevent infections in burn patients.
- Magic Mouthwash - A mixture that contains nystatin, diphenhyrdamine and sterile water. Indicated for oral candidiasis
- Ursodiol - Comes in capsules that must be unscrewed and finely ground and mixed in a mortar. Indicated for the treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis