Friday, December 31, 2010

My Favorite Posts from 2010

The end of a calendar-year brings a sense of retrospection and in that vein I thought I would provide a list of my favorite posts of 2010.  This has been my first year as a blogger.  Hopefully, you found some articles you enjoyed reading as I have had some articles that I enjoyed writing.

My Favorites:
In an online essay, Robert Sapolsky discusses our strange brains.  We live simultaneously in a physical and metaphorical reality.  Our use of certain words and phrases trigger physiological responses, while sensations can alter our psychological perceptions.  Fascinating stuff!
Theodosius Dobzhansky maybe a leader in the Modern Synthesis movement, but he may also be a founder for the Post-Modern Synthesis.  We know the Evolution Controversy features two staunch opponents- usually science vs. faith.  But many scientists believe in God, so the true fight is Theism against Atheism using evolution as a weapon.  Argue religion all you want, but please don't take it out on science.
We see racial overtones everywhere, harkening back to a tribal us-vs-them mentality.  But understanding how race developed and why it doesn't exist could help ease such tensions and teach the world about human harmony.  We are one species with very little genetic diversity but an enormous amount of cultural differences.
As a species, we are explorers who have traveled the globe and reached another celestial body.  The history of life also belongs to the explorers.  Those organisms that could reach out an find new niches to occupy found it easier to survive and thrive.  Man may have left Africa, but we equally owe homage to the organisms that left the trees and the water.  For they also got us to where we are today.
  • The Counters to Conservapedia Series (Several Installments with More to Come!)
As a biology teacher, I love the questions about evolution.  I enjoy the toughest questions any student or parent could ask.  Most anti-evolutionists do not actually fight against evolution, but rather their strange misconceptions of what they think it is.  So we should address them and correct them.  Conservapedia nicely collected their misunderstandings and published them in list form just so I could go through and debunk each of them one at a time.  This past year, I attempted to set the record straight on the topic of Extinctions (Sept. 9th), Genetic Diversity (Oct. 6th), The Eye (Oct. 27th), Males and Females (Dec. 2nd), and Beauty (Dec. 29th).  I still have over 50 misconceptions left to correct, which should make for some good articles in 2011.

I enjoy writing these posts and the rest from the past year.  I look forward to another year of blogging as I fight the good fight for science, religion, and anything else that crosses my mind.

If you had any favorite articles from the year, you could add them to the list in the comment section.  Otherwise, have a Happy New Year's!  I will be freezing my butt off while running in a 5K at midnight tonight, so everyone else should stay warm and happy!

Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment