Monday, July 12, 2010

From The Huff: Are Science and Religion Compatible?

Karl Giberson, Vice-President of the BioLogos Foundation, wrote an interesting piece for the Huffington Post.  While I don't think he completely answered his title's question, he raises a few good points.  He asks, Can a religious person accept modern science?
My answer to this question is "yes, of course," for I cannot see my way to clear to embrace either of the two alternatives -- a fundamentalist religion prepared to reject science, or a pure scientism that denies the reality of anything beyond what science can discover. 
Science does not attack all forms of religion, nor vice versa.  Extreme fundamentalism runs counter to science, just as philosophical materialism rejects the supernatural.  Yet a very large number of religious people and scientific-minded individuals lie between these two ideological extremes.  Science and religion do not exist as opposite sides of a chasm, but as part of a continuum.
I place myself in the middle ground.  As a science teacher, I must follow the evidence where it goes.  As a believer, I must have faith in God.  I find both aspects help to define who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment