Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's the End of the World and He Knows It

Ah, I love when some people attempt to predict the end of the world.  The foolishness of these predictions completely amazes me.  Last year, a website said that the world was going to end in April.  Two days after the predicted apocalypse, they updated the site to say that they had done the math wrong and the world would end in September.  It didn't, and I have seen it again.


Now some guy says that May 21st, 2011 will be Judgement Day.  That's right!  You only have 9 months and 19 days to prepare (They have a countdown).  Five months later, God will destroy the world (October 21, 2011).  Apparently, this guy made a similar prediction in 1994.  But at least he's trying.


This kind of thing can be dangerous.  Sometimes, cult leaders predict the end of the world (or the arrival of the aliens) and lead their followers to a mass suicide.  Less dangerously, this guy probably just wants recognition (I guess ridicule works too) and money (won't be giving him that though).


Maybe I will check back on May 22nd, 2011 to see what happened.  Nah, I probably won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment